Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Chicken Soup for Grown-Ups!


Chills. Fever. Aching.
No matter who's the sick one,
Chicken soup for all.


While all around us friends were losing their heads to colds and coughs this fall, I was so proud that we skirted the issue. Until two days ago: we lost the upper-respiratory health war.


My daughter came back from trick-or-treating with tricks, and she has not even looked at her bag of treats. It is hard to believe, but all she wanted was chicken noodle soup. From a can. 


My motherly instincts mutinied, and I insisted on at least partially homemade. We compromised: I used canned broth and a rotisserie chicken, but I cooked the noodles. Does that equate me with Clara Barton? Maybe not, but I felt better.


My husband and I are not sick, however, so we wanted something of substance, with plenty of taste. I made my girl her plain soup, then I embellished some for us.


Here’s hoping you are cold-free this winter, and you can try these easy soups just because you have a craving.


Vaccines have their place,
But my Mama's chicken soup
Kicks some flu germ butt.



Thai Chicken Noodle Chowder
1 (14.1-ounce) can organic Thai coconut soup, such as Amy’s
2 ounces stick rice noodles, broken in half
1 cup canned fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup shredded cooked chicken breast
1 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
Lime wedges
Cook noodles in boiling water 5 minutes or until done. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain well.
Combine soup, broth, and chicken in a medium saucepan; add chicken and noodles. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat, and stir in cilantro. Serve in bowls with lemon wedges. Makes 2 servings.



Spicy Tomato Chicken Soup
If you can’t find this soup, use condensed tomato bisque soup and dilute it according to package directions.
1 (14.5-ounce) can chunky tomato bisque soup, such as Amy’s
3/4 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup shredded cooked chicken breast
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup chili beans, undrained
1/4 cup frozen or canned corn kernels
1 or 2 teaspoons chili powder
Heat all ingredients in a medium saucepan until simmering; simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Makes 2 servings.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Debby!
    JK sent me a link to your blog, and I love it. Keep the posts coming. I miss the days of mini-cheesecakes and butter pasta back in Birmingham. Hope all is well, and love from New York.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love back to you sistah. I will keep them coming. Look on al.com to try to find my weekly column on Tables for Two...you can cook for your beau!

    Love to you sweetheart. I miss you rigging my TV with a coat hanger to get MTV

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! So funny and clever! I need this in book form, cause I need to chuckle my way through cooking...Cheers!

    ReplyDelete