Monday, November 16, 2009

Out of Africa

Humming, toes tapping,
Music awakens hunger.
Even Barney must eat.

I was sharing with a friend one of my favorite youTube videos: Perpetuum Jazzile, a choir from Slovenia, sings Toto's "Africa" a capella; they simulate a storm with their hands and feet, sing a beautiful rendition of the lyrics, and make instruments with their voices -- piano keys, guitar licks, percussion beats, and more.

I couldn't get the music out of my head when it was over. But it was time to throw lunch together, so while I sang "I bless the rains down in Africa," I looked through pantry and fridge for a focal point on which to base my efforts.

I'm a right brain girl....listening to music and singing feed my creativity. I never write a column or develop a recipe without music on in the background. So I was primed, and when I saw the can of hominy in the pantry, the sweet potato on the counter, and the leftover pulled pork from last night's barbecue takeout in the fridge, I knew what I would make.

While chili and posole aren't directly from South Africa, maize is one of the staple foods from that region, and hominy is dried corn with the germ and outer hull removed. It's a stretch, I know, but they also eat sweet potatoes, so....

Feeling quite inspired, I put together this quick and yummy, albeit different, chili-soup.

Chili Verde with Hominy and Squash
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 poblano chili, chopped (optional)

2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup salsa verde
1 (15-ounce) can hominy, drained
2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato
2 cups cooked pulled pork
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnishes: cilantro leaves, sliced green onion, corn tortilla strips, sour cream

Heat a heavy, medium saucepan over medium heat. Add oil and heat; add onion and poblano chili, if using, and sauté until onion is very tender. Stir in cumin and garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Pour in chicken broth, salsa, hominy, and squash; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until squash is tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Stir in pork; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper to taste. Serve in bowls with garnishes to sprinkle over chili. Makes 4 servings.



No comments:

Post a Comment