Wednesday, November 18, 2009

What We Learn From Our Daughters

My daughter, in third grade, brings home a spelling assignment each Monday that has 4 activities to accomplish during the week; they are supposed to glue the words to her brain for the test on Friday. For one, she can choose between a poem, story, or song to fit all 10 words into. Up until now, she has chosen to write a story because that is where she feels comfortable; in her words, a story is easier. But today she stretched. She decided to configure haiku.

She has heard all about this blog. She knows the construction of the three metrical phrases of Japanese haiku. And she wanted to extend her wings and go for it.

Eleni does her homework at a table in the kitchen. Today, when she came home from school armored up to write, I was in there silently fuming that I did not feel like pulling together a decent dinner. Even though I had just come back from the grocery store with random food and the refrigerator was fairly full with the week's produce, I absolutely did not feel like fooling with it.

With one question and a remark, she changed my attitude: "Mom, isn't haiku 5-7-5? I want to write one with my words."

I realized that if she could step out of her zone, so could I. And if she is showing an interest in learning from me, I'll take a lesson from her. Go for it. Here's what we ate, and it was 30 minutes of pleasure to cook.

And I'll share her haiku efforts, too, with the spelling words italicized:
I'd hope to be in
High society later
In November, yes.

Community and
Character are not really
Alike that much now.

Values and science
And finally are also
Not a thing alike.


Whole Grain Pasta with Tomatoes, Peppers, and Shrimp

1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp, uncooked
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 pound whole grain fettucini, uncooked
1 small onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved

Toss shrimp with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Let stand 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions; drain and keep warm.

Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat; add shrimp mixture and saute just until shrimp are opaque, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in skillet; add onion and peppers. Saute until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in garlic; saute 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and wine; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in olives and shrimp; heat thoroughly. Add pasta; toss. Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment