Monday, November 16, 2009

Why Sweet Potatoes Rule

The sweet potato
It's completely versatile
My new role model

Is there anything better in fall than sweet potatoes? I use them for fries, as a pureed side dish, in stir fry, pie, or just baked and split open with cinnamon and butter as a side or a meal.

In addition to being super-nutritious, they taste decadent and sinful. What could be better? (Okay, uninterrupted sleep, free babysitting, a date with Colin Firth - but who's counting?)

I admit that their versatility and overall appeal make me feel a little inferior, especially when you consider that the sweet potato has rougher skin and a more lumpy appearance than I do, yet it's still so delicious, I can't hold a grudge. Heck, in Jackson, Mississippi, my hometown, the sweet potato has even developed a cult following of "Sweet Potato Queens," who show up in the annual St. Patrick's Day parade.

A friend of mine served a dish similar to this several years ago where butternut squash played the leading role. That was very memorable, and since then, I've played with many variations. But since a sweet potato was what I had in my pantry yesterday, this is the result. Even my eight-year-old liked it!

Baked Rigatoni with Sweet Potato and Leeks
l lb. of rigatoni, cooked al dente
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups sliced leeks
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch dice
4 cups fresh baby spinach
1 cup shredded Fontina cheese

As you cook the pasta, steam spinach in a basket above boiling water for 2 minutes, or plunge briefly into hot pasta water to blanch. Set aside.

Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add leeks, garlic and sweet potato and saute for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. When leeks begin to brown, deglaze with white wine. Reduce heat and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender.

Combine pasta, sweet potato mixture, spinach and shredded cheese in a large bowl, then spoon into a 9x13 casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until cheese is thoroughly melted and pasta is warmed through.

No comments:

Post a Comment