Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Easy Ways to Put Whole Grains into Quick Meals

Big hug from my son.
"Mommy," he says, "I love you.
Why are your arms so fat?"


Forget textile art
Aging bodies crave whole grains
That's fiber magic!

My daughter recently forwarded a link to test my “real age.” I assume she was reminding me to do what I can to stick around.

It is not my nature to indulge in taking random internet quizzes, especially in the middle of this busy week, but I was begging for a distraction (anything to quit doing the mundane stuff on my desk) and found myself lured into the website’s evaluation of my health habits. I was curious: I do not consider myself “old.” (Frantic maybe, but not ancient.) What age do those "real age" people think I am?

After answering the questions about my daily habits as truthfully as I wanted to, my age was not revealed to be 25-30 as I suspected. The hard reality is that if I eat more whole grains, fruit, and fish, I will shave off at least 10 years. That sounds pretty good to me, but when I am in a hurry to cook dinner, spending 45 minutes on a pot of brown rice or wheat berries is not my idea of quick.

But I do know about Kashi’s heat-and-serve grain pilafs. These are not empty carbs; the 7 whole grain pilaf sides are bags of textured grains, full of fiber and protein. If for no other reason, I will buy these packages of precooked mixed grains for the wheat berries. They are nutty in flavor and pleasantly chewy, but traditionally can take an hour to boil. Now we can eat them in an instant.

This bag of grains is my latest food compulsion; here are a couple of experiments that we have enjoyed as meatless mains.

- Debby


Mediterranean Grains with Feta, Olives, and Tomatoes
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (8.5-ounce) package Kashi 7 whole grain pilaf
1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
3 tablespoons chopped Kalamata olives
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

Heat olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté until golden, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, and add tomatoes; sauté 1 minute. Add pilaf, parsley, olives, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring to break up pilaf, until hot, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; toss with feta cheese. Makes 3 servings.


Grains Pilaf with Spinach, Walnuts, and Goat Cheese
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (8.5-ounce) package Kashi 7 whole grain pilaf
3 (packed) cups baby spinach leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 to 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add walnuts, and cook, stirring or shaking pan constantly, until fragrant and toasted, about 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in skillet; add garlic and sauté until golden, about 45 seconds. Add pilaf and spinach; cover and cook 2 minutes, stirring to break up pilaf. Uncover and sauté until pilaf is hot and spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper.
Transfer to bowl of walnuts; toss. Sprinkle each serving with goat cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment